- Election or removal of the Chair or Vice Chair of the Local Governing Bodies
- Development of overall strategy
- Financial management of the two schools – approval of annual budgets and annual reports
- Monitoring of educational performance – setting key performance indicators
- Operational issues common to both schools
- Holding the Executive Head to account – Executive Heads’ performance management
- Compliance with educational, charity and company law
- Key appointments: Executive Head, Heads of Schools, Responsible Officer, Finance Officer Central Policies for both schools
Audit Committee reviews the work of Directors and LGBs – finance, governance procedures and risk management
Duncan Battman, Chair of Directors
Duncan is an Old Boy of AGSB and ran a family garden centre for 28 years. Since selling the business he trained as a celebrant for the British Humanist Association. He served as a Governor of AGSB for 13 years.
Tim Gartside, Executive Head
Head Master at AGSB for 13 years. Achieved Ofsted Outstanding grading in 2007 and regularly placed in top 50 state schools for GCSE and A level results. This year value added of 1030 and 79% of subject entries at A level at A*/A/B (23% at A*). Tim is an Inspector for Ofsted conducting inspections across the North of England and has been an NLE since 2012, recently supporting schools in the Greater Manchester area. He has worked closely with the Free Schools section of the DfE in bringing North Cestrian School into the state sector.
Sharon is Finance Manager at a local school, was a Governor at AGSB for 8 years and is currently a Governor at North Cestrian School. She acts as the NCS link on the Board reporting back to Directors and governors on the full range of governance issues.
John is the AGSB Governor’s Representative on the HET Board. He has many years of experience in advising businesses on technology, processes, people and change across many industries and geographies. He brings a wealth of practical business and management experience to the Trust.
Richard is a chartered accountant and worked for KPMG in both Manchester and Sydney, Australia. He has worked as Finance Director for a number of companies and public organisations including BBC North West. He has also provided consultancy to the NHS, the Department for Education, and private sector companies including ITV. He is the Finance lead for the Board and is a member of the audit committee.
Jill is a Chartered Fellow of the CIPD and HR/Employment Law specialist on the Board. She is Owner/Director of the HR Dept (Trafford and Warrington) franchise, which provides specialist HR advice to businesses and the educational sector. Jill advises on the full range of HR issues.